Friday, January 18, 2013

Week 2 - Reflection # 1 - Websearching



Hello, Donna and classmates
During this week we have covered three interesting topics that particularly have enriched my general computer knowledge and the way that I see my learners and teaching style.
To start, we had to try, analyze and discuss about different search engines and then suggest some of them depending on our teaching needs. I am a big fan of GOOGLE, but I found out that there are some other useful search engines and websites that are not so popular but helpful as GOOGLE.

I think that it is very important to know and keep in mind these other choices for web searching according to our teaching and students’ needs because searching on line can be fun and interesting but also time consuming and very frustrating when we feel that we are wasting our time and not going anywhere.

From the list we got, I tried some of the first options and searched for a basic grammar topic. I realized that INTUTE (http://www.intute.ac.uk/search.html) , INFOMINE (http://infomine.ucr.edu/) and ACADEMIC INFO SUBJECT GUIDES (http://www.academicinfo.net/subject-guides) are great sources of information for college and university students. However, I was more interested in brief and clear explanations and also extra materials for my English classes. Therefore I found very interesting and recommend using:


1) BING (as an alternative to GOOGLE)

2) ISEEK EDUCATION (you can target your search and get more specific “hits” and “links”)

and

3) TWURDY (the “hits” and “links” are arranged from easier to harder to read so that you can choose the most suitable information according to your students ‘ English level.)

Sincerely, J.C.
  


3 comments:

  1. Hi J.C,

    Its GREAT You have added a nice picture on your blog post to reflect your 2nd week's learning and Its interesting know about you from your profile that How teaching has changed your personality.

    Cheers,

    Vinay

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Juan Carlos,
    I couldn't stop commenting on your refection of the second week as I saw a very fascinating picture in the very beginning of your blog, more, I,instantly, found something interesting about your profile. I have realized that we have going through the discussion and sharing our ideas in a very sober fashion in second week that we had started in the first week. The way you said in your profile, teaching is an important avenue where we share our ideas with variety of people, learn something great and overcome our shyness and march further collecting other beautiful ideas.You have such a great experience that others scarcely have. It's great. Thanks for sharing your personal experience.

    Prakash

    ReplyDelete