Saturday, January 19, 2013

Week 2 - Reflection # 2 - Writing Objectives (ABCD Method) & Learner Analysis



These two topics were very interesting and surprising to me. Writing objectives has always been a stone in my shoe since they have to be written accurately in order to see the results that you expect in each class.
At first I feel I was very confused about this topic because I am used to writing “objectives” on the whiteboard before starting every class, but after reading some articles this week, I realized that “my objectives” were more similar to instructions or tasks that my students and I have to accomplish in each class.   
The article about Bloom’s Taxonomy and Bloom's Digital Taxonomy also helped me understand thinking skills and the correct order of these metal processes. Then this study was related and associated with the use of technology in class and activities related to this classification.
After I finished reading these articles, I dove into that new world of writing objectives. At the beginning, I could not understand The A.B.C.D. method quite well. Fortunately, Donna clarified my doubts and was able to accomplish this task. I believe this method of writing objectives is very precise and easy to follow, achieve and measure.


Related links
Bloom's Digital Taxonomy (Source: Penn State Learning Design Community Hub)
Bloom's Taxonomy Digitally (Source: Tech & Learning)
Writing Objectives: ABCD Method (Source: Minnesota State University Moorhead)
Write an ABCD Objective (Source: WikiHow)




My second task was also quite challenging. Analyzing learners is the first and foremost step to create instructional programs. Having a clear idea of how our students learn and what previous knowledge they have acquired is really important when designing a course or even planning our classes. It was not something easy because we have see beyond our students’ names, faces and behavior. This research includes other significant characteristics such as attention span, mental development, life experiences, literacy levels, skills, learning styles, etc.
We have to collect this information carefully and accurately in order to have effective and meaningful objectives as well as create successful programs.     


related links
Learner and Context Analysis (Source: Virginia Tech - School Of Education)
Learner Analysis (Source: Kristina Ford - EdTech)
Learner Analysis (source: Harold D. Stolovitch & Erica J. Keeps)



3 comments:

  1. Dear Juan Carlos,

    I admire your sense and sensibility. That's very perceptive of you. Thank you for sharing the links of all your readings. I don't know how to share it to my blog. Please share it on my pages, your first blog's links and the ones now. I will truly appreciate it.

    Aside from the substance and meaning of what you are writing, you also engage us closer to it because of your creativity. Most people are visuals we like to look at pictures before reading the caption and the articles per se. Your first blog on how connected are we us educators created so much sparks, edudemic.com and academicinfo.net are now my “allies” in education. Thank you very much JC.

    Moreover, your post on vague verbs is also timely. Your line,”diving into the new world of writing objectives” is pointblank. I perfectly agree! We have to really thank our teacher, Donna for sharing it with us. Your blog is so concise and well organized, thorough and very well crafted. I’m two thumbs up!

    Mindfully yours,

    Sonia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Sonia
      Thanks for your comments and I want to share this youtube link with you. It is a tutotial about How to add a link in your Blogger Post. I hope you find it useful.

      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-U9neoBGhVk

      Delete
  2. Hello Juan Carlos,

    I like your comparison of writing objectives with the stone in one's shoe. I also was in a dilemma how to write clear objectives in a new method but as this is our weeks' task, we are trying to do our best after learning.
    I also like your colorful blog with meaningful pictures, it looks great!

    Livia

    ReplyDelete